Re: Double shifting unsynchronized manual transmission

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on April 24, 2020 at 18:34:36 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Double shifting unsynchronized manual transmission posted by Ultradog MN on April 24, 2020 at 18:00:11:

I can double clutch; also speed shift, both upgear/downshift in my Miata, but I don't, as everything has to be exactly perfectly timed and flawlessly executed, whereas, perfection's not my usual modus operandi, in my "good enough" world lol :-) Too much chance and opportunity for damage to the drivetrain imho.

Timing is everything when you have to get RPMs matched exactly, you have to add enough RPMs when going to another gear to compensate for RPMs when you actually manage to complete the shift when the gears mesh.

Doable, but takes a lot of practice and experience, which seasoned OTR truckers make it look easy but it ain't nothing of the sort.

That's why for everybody else we've got automatic transmissions and synchronized manual transmissions.

Most people are not professional drivers and they're not ever going to reach up to that level of experience & proficiency acquired through hundreds of thousands of miles on the road, 11, 12 even 13-hour + days.

Not to worry, one of the "Ower-Operators" (as I refer to them) that I knew from back in the day tells me the "old Trucking firm" has purchased and is experimenting with it's first self-driving truck.

Seems in future robots will have to deal with all of the Hazardous/difficult/dangerous/boring work of humanity.

I'm hoping for The Jetsons and not Skynet terminators :-)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]