Re: Gasoline suggestions?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on April 28, 2020 at 07:25:27 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Gasoline suggestions? posted by Gary in GA on April 27, 2020 at 10:15:37:

In 1978 the EPA banned lead in all US products. Lead is still present in older homes, toys, plumbing (does the Flint water fiasco ring a bell?) and other products so those items would still be present with lead. The crud they try to pass off as a 'lead additive' isn't, they canít legally sell it, and contains no lead whatsoever. Just another snake oil product, AND you don't need to use a regular gas. Search for the MSDS sheets when researching a product so you can see what is in it. If they won't list ingredients, claim it is "Proprietary" they are hiding something so run away. Statements like ďÖthe proprietary additive mixture includes anti-oxidant, detergent, and anti-corrosion additives.Ē Huh? Why donít they list exactly what that stuff is. Mumbo-jumbo mostly. MMO??? Thereís no mystery about it. ALL the snake-oil products sold today contain 75%-98% PETROLOEUM DITSILLATES, plain mineral oil/spirits. It is an excellent cleaner and will not affect internal engines and systems. It is the same stuff as your charcoal lighter fluid and paint thinner. I use it for cleaning parts, hydraulic systems, and paint cleaner, and buy it in 5 gal pails. Adding all that commercial stuff to an engine will thin the fuel and help clean the system because of the main ingredient Ėmineral spirits. Iíve used gas that is over a year old, in my 8N, and it started and ran fine. Iíd add fresh gas after it ran and cooled down but if your tractor wonít start after setting for a spell, chances are it isnít the gas and something else like a dead battery (a float charger will fix that) or oxidized breaker point contacts. The fuel additive issue has been discussed over and over, and the TOH has posted thorough data on ethanol which has been blamed for boiling gas in the tank and destroying nylon and plastic fuel lines especially on 2-stroke engines. The Ford Tractors do not use any plastic or nylon in the fuel system. There is a oil and gas resistant rubber seal in the sediment bulb valve stem but thatís it. Some cheaper aftermarket systems have used vinyl seals which get chewed up and ruined in short order. Iíve found the best carb cleaner is plain Lacquer Thinner. It is composed of Methyl, Ethanol, Acetone, and Mineral Spirits along with a few other ingredients, and works best to un-gum old internal carbs. When not in use, I fill my gas tank with diesel fuel to help prevent internal corrosion. My early 9N has been soaking in it, yes Madge, for years and works very well. Now, itís your tractor and machines, and you can spend your $$$ on and do whatever you want, I am simply stating the facts so you can make your own decisions. Whatever you use, be aware that all of those products are highly flammable and not for consumption use common sense and read labels. See the LINK from our SAFETY forum.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]