Re: DIY Homebrew 3-point Boom Lift Pole

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on May 03, 2020 at 08:46:53 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: DIY Homebrew 3-point Boom Lift Pole posted by dave#1 on May 03, 2020 at 07:44:14:

Funny! :-)

Your picture shows a good example of matching load to lifting capacity of Boom Pole. You could probably lift that load safely with an even longer pole, if it was needed to reach higher.

There is just no substitute for the sound of a 2 cylinder Poppin Johnny laboring in the field! I sometimes enjoy playing one of these "sound-theme" YouTube videos in the background while I'm working on something.

Extending the boom pole theme further (lol), one design for a manlift some of my neighbors built resembled one of those pull-type radio antennas that telescopes closed. Just like an extension ladder with a pull rope to draw extension up, their design was set up with pulleys and cable to do the same thing, only with additional extension sections.

Not sure how safe it is because without safety stops/mechanism, if that cable ever was to break? Extension ladders don't collapse because they've got these "hands" holding onto the rungs as part of the design function. With hydraulic cylinders, typically they'll be safety valves restricting the flow from cylinders in case a hose or something ruptures, but just the way my neighbors did it with only a cable? I'd want more guarantee of safety than that imho.

That being said, they've been running their rig for years without any problems, however, you're not going to see me getting in lift bucket nor standing anywhere within it's "Drop Zone"! One Design element I can appreciate is that they can take the bucket off and put a hook or winch on in its place and it does double duty as a boom crane as well as a boom man lift. Here Common Sense would dictate that you keep everything within the design's limitations, or something is going to break and maybe even somebody get hurt?

Some agrarianist's DIY homebrew projects would give OSHA inspectors nightmares! :-) I'm pretty certain Insurance wouldn't be of any good, in case of accident involving such an "unapproved" design.

Common sense is the only safety factor involved with this dangerous design, exercising pre-use inspection/preventive maintenance and only using it within design's limitations. Such devices may be illegal? However, one could take the viewpoint it's their life/risk/responsibility and it's not possible to either legislate morality nor make the world a safe place.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]