Hello, everyone, we got our 8N running, and have used it a couple of times to cut grass. Overall, it seems to run well, but we have some concerns.
1) Runs and pulls well while cutting grass, then aftert about an hour it sputters to a stop. No apparent issues with fuel level or overheating. After about 15 minutes, it fires up and continues working.
2) In order to start, we need to use the starter and the hand crank to get enough crankshaft velocity to fire. Meter shows 6.4 volts at the battery with no load, and we make sure it is on trickle charge while not in use. Stronger battery? 12 volt conversion?
3) In order to start, we use a "jumper" between the coil and the battery for full voltage to the coil, then remove it upon firing. Voltage at the coil is about 4.5 post-ballast resistor. We were thinking of installing a permanent circuit to do this, with a toggle switch. Comments?
4) The tractor requires full throttle to cut the grass with a Woods RM600 mower deck (rebuilt); is this normal?
5) Can anyone recommend an aftermarket tachometer and water temp gauge for the 8N?
Thanks in advance for any answers, suggestions or solutions.