Re: no spark at plugs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on May 18, 2020 at 14:50:11 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: no spark at plugs posted by James Terpay on May 18, 2020 at 12:49:44:

If the rotor doesn't seat all the way down, I've had some, it may not allow the cap to seat all the way down. In the gasket kit There is a round cork gasket around the cap that needs to be installed first. I once had to buy an aftermarket Cheena distributor (it was a Sunday, only thing open)at that 'tractor parts' store franchise next to McDonalds in town. I couldn't get the cap to seat down and discovered the rotor shaft sat too high on the unit. Be sure to press the rotor down all the way too. NAPA sells all quality parts, Made in the USA. Last June Farmer Dan and I spent a week going thru a dozen front mount distributors, rebuilding, and testing them. What we discovered was that the ECHIN Brand of pints, NAPA p/n CS-35, are no longer one of the better quality sets sold. The ones we tested could not be aligned, gapped, and timed correctly. There are three quality brands sold of the ones we tested. The good points are: Standard Ignition (Blue Streak); CNH; and TISCO. SI and CNH use the OEM type phenolic rubbing block/arm and the TISCO brand uses the plastic style arm. Two aftermarket tested were junk with similar results as the ECHLIN. The TISCO point kit includes a rotor, condenser, lube grease, and a reusable steel 0.015" feeler gage to set the breaker points with. My last set of TISCO lasted over 6 years. Here is my parts list:

NAPA CROSSOVER PART NUMBERS
1. POINTS:
STANDARD IGNITION/BLUE STREAK - #FD-6769X
ALT: CASE/NEW HOLLAND #87744524 or TISCO #ATK6FF. If NAPA doesn't have the SI part, don't let them sell you the ECHLIN brand. You can get SI on ebay too. $16 nominal on all 3.

2. CAP: ECHLIN - #FA350 or STANDARD IGNITION - #FD-126

3. CONDENSER: ECHLIN - #FA-200 or STANDARD IGNITION - #FD-71

4. ROTOR: ECHLIN - #FA-300 or STANDARD INGNITION - #FD-104

5. GASKET KIT: SPAREX #S.60308

6. 6V COIL: IC670

7. BALLAST RESISTOR: ICR40

8. SPARK PLUG WIRES –COPPER CORE

9. SPARK PLUGS: AUTO-LITE 437 or CHAMPION H12

10. CAM LUBE: SI #SL-2 or ECHLIN ML1

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]