Re: Ford 8N fan blade

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ultradog MN on June 07, 2020 at 04:38:17 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Ford 8N fan blade posted by Matthew on June 06, 2020 at 18:51:11:

Some thoughts about grinding blades:
Call me goofy if you wish but I always try to balance my fan blades
While the radiator is off it is easy to take a ruler and measure from the timing cover to the front edge of each blade. Bend any that are way off as required.
You can get fancy about it if you wish. Measure them at the top off each blade, bottom of the blade, front edge and rear edge. Find a happy medium and set them all the same. Easy to twist a blade if needed with a cresent wrench at the base.
You'd be surprised at how far most fans are out of whack.
I have no qualms about grinding my fan blades. About 1/16" is all they ever need. I scribe them first then grind them all the same. Dress them with a file after grinding to prevent very sharp edges.
I always reinstall the fan shroud. Maybe they will cool just fine without it but I like the shroud - for looks, for safety and for better cooling.
EVERY Ford tractor - from 1939-1999 had a fan shroud when it left the factory.
For what it's worth I balanced the fan and ground the blades on this tractor just yesterday. Installed the radiator, fan and shroud for what I hope is the final time. This model Ford has an extra metal band that extends the shroud back about 4" farther than normal. The 6 blade fan and that 4" extension were all whacked out. But sphincter boy here spent a little time and got it all right.
What's not to like about that?

PS, I'm hoping to start the engine on this tractor soon. That ugly upper radiator hose is temporary and will get replaced.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]