Front Mount Distributor Won't Time Properly

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jock(OR) on June 14, 2020 at 23:11:37 [URL] [DELETE] :

I have a front mount distributor from a 2N that is giving me problems. I believe it is the original distributor to the tractor my Grandfather bought new in 1945. I am sure my Father put a new breaker plate in it during the 1970's. The advance weights have coil springs, so I suspect that the shaft has been replaced along the way.

I just replaced the front and rear bushings. The old ones were pretty loose, and I thought that they were responsible for my scattering misfire, as well as the fact that the breaker plate had to be adjusted as far retarded (spark late) as possible.

Now I have the opposite problem. With the breaker plate as far as advanced (spark early) as possible, the points open 3/8" after the mounting hole (1/8" late) with the points set at .015".

The advance weights seem a little loose, but the springs retract them all the way. The slots in the wings of the shaft are beat out so the pins can move sideways. The bushings now have no slop, so the shaft cannot move sideways. The point gap is pretty consistent on all four lobes.

The points (Echlin) have only about 20 hours run time on them, and seemed in good shape, so I didn't change them. Perhaps the rubbing block is worn?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]