641 wont start (2020)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike in Michigan on July 11, 2020 at 08:21:21 [URL] [DELETE] :

641 with 6v pos side mount distributor. So over the winter I developed a gas leak at valve. Removed the hood and gas tank and did the rivet removal/screw replacement repair and put back together.

I tried starting and it would run for a few seconds and then stop and would not restart. After researching on this forum I decided to pull the carb and clean her out. Had a little dirt in the bowl otherwise looked good. Tried starting again and now apparently no spark as it only turns over. Turns over fine. The solenoid clicks once when first press starter button. After researching decided to replace the battery even though only 10 months old and had 6.5v. New battery made no difference.

I cleaned off all the connections around the solenoid. I noticed that the gas tank needle sits below the 'E' mark and when I turn the key on it moves up to the 'E' even though there is about a quarter tank if that helps.

I replaced the spark plugs - no effect. I did the spark plug 3/16 gap test. Interestingly I had spark the first time but no spark after the initial test. I just bought a new coil - no effect. New condenser - no effect. I figure I'd post to the experts before I continue with replacing parts.

I did a lot of work around the distributor a couple years back with the insulator, copper connector and has been running fine since (although I no longer use the tractor as I live in the burbs, probably will be selling soon).

So where do I go from here?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]