Re: '49 8N "No Swimmin" (ignition don't like water; won't start)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on July 25, 2020 at 08:12:05 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: '49 8N posted by Brad on July 17, 2020 at 19:34:44:

Tony, here's an interesting (although sometimes hotly-debated at online repair forums) solution to the water-"no spark" non-starting issues:

Some folks hold fast to the notion of using dielectric silicone grease/compound sold at auto supplies (some refer to it as tune-up silicon grease) to exclude water and making removal of spark plug boots easier.

These people sometimes hold using anything else but dielectric grease (petroleum products/WD-40, etc they won't recommend, claiming such will overtime degrade rubberized parts, causing problems in the long-term.

Other folks, as a counterpoint, claim they've been using vaseline or WD-40 as a dielectric grease/water dispersant on battery terminals and all sorts of rubberized connectors for years, without any signs of trouble.

Here's the rub: how do you know who's right? Maybe nobody? Is it one of those "Ford man versus Chevy man" meaningless opinions? Mystery here, perhaps someone can shed some light on ... Might get a hornet's nest of controversy started here lol ;-p

for myself by Electric Greece is cheap enough and I believe that I'll use that, and WD-40. That way both camps of the debate will be sneering at me! lol :-D

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]