Re: You screen, we all screen?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on July 29, 2020 at 16:19:57 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: You screen, we all screen? posted by K.LaRue-VA on July 29, 2020 at 14:35:25:

Thanks Kevin, that sounds like some well-reasoned sage advice. I have made a repair which I'll be checking out later today, once everything has cured up.

I used Vaseline on the glass as a mold release, and on bottom of cork where it mates with glass.

On top of the cork where it mates up and seals against metal surface, I used red RTV gasket sealer, to affix cork where it won't leak.

Since cork seemed in perfect condition, I reasoned that leak had to be between cork and metal surface it mates onto. RTV silicone gasket sealer/maker was intended to fill any imperfections and adhere such as to prevent further leaking.

I thoroughly cleaned the metal surface in preparation for receiving RTV, insuring proper adhesion.

I then tightened up bail holding glass in place against cork (pushing cork up onto the metal surface), but I didn't tighten it fully, because I wanted to allow some room for the Silicon to make a cushion between cork and metal (leaving room for further tightening).

When I get home from work, sufficient time will have passed for RTV to have cured and I should be able to slightly tighten up the bail further and see if there are any leaks.

Vaseline as mod release ought insure glass comes away cleanly from cork gasket, without damage to cork.

Anyway you look at it, I'm going to have to get a replacement seal & screen, since my 8N did not come from previous owner with screening in place. Thanks for link to replacement screen :-)

When I began cleaning tractor in preparation for paint, I must have lost some of the rust and dirt and disturbed things what was holding everything together lol ;-p

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]