smart or dumb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tractorfix on August 29, 2020 at 12:14:11 [URL] [DELETE] :

A 39 is not a must have for me,but I'd still enjoy owning one. I have a nice 40 to work on. But if a 39 pops up near me, I'll check it out. One did. I drove about 2 -1/2 hours to see it, pretty local really I guess. The tractor itself was a pretty nice older home restoration. It was an early tin hood model. Had the high mounted starter switch. It had the dipstick in the trans cover, but still had the plug on the side too.Had very clean 32inch hat wheels, Had all the right parts except for a 8N generator and regulator, riveted hubs, and a one piece left upright(which may have been correct for this?). It had nice 2 rib fenders, correct hood, grill, dash etc. It honestly was really nice. The back tires were shot. No big deal I know. BUT, the biggie. It had a 1946 engine and therefore a 1946 serial number and long neck manifold, extra oil line, too many welch plugs etc. He said the original block had been holed and it got thrown away when he put the 46 engine on it. So with no hope of ever knowing or recovering the original sn I left it there. I don't think he could understand why I could be so hung up on that but it was a deal killer for me. One thing I learned mucking around with cars. A 427 Galaxie with a VIN that says 289 is not a 427 Galaxie. Its a cobbled up mutt.I don't want a 39 w a 46 SN. He was asking 2500 and not prepared to budge much so I politely declined and left it there. He was a great guy and had a lot of other nice machines and he knew Fords quite well. My 40 has the right engine, 2 smooth axles, all the right parts, just needs a cosmetic restoration. If the 39 had the right engine, I would have bought it and taken the smooth axles from my 40 for it. What are your opinions? Was I making too much a deal of a serial number?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]