Re: 8N Newbie, need advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce(OR) on September 07, 2020 at 07:48:45 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: 8N Newbie, need advice posted by Cliff on September 04, 2020 at 15:23:49:

I'll throw 2 cents in. 20 PSI hot oil would NOT be getting an overhaul.
I read most of the post and I didn't see plugs mentioned.
Autolites work better than a whole bunch of them. Or at least used to. The manufacturing went off shore, south or east and the QC can be a shot in the dark from what I have heard.
Your running 30 W oil and good enough for lawn mowers, I might step it up to 15/40.
Shell, Chevron being the two most used. I used to work at a Shell gas station. I won't use their oil in anything. IMO.
You might also be able to get a hotter range spark plug. Example being Autolites and going from, say a #26 spark plug to a #27. That hotter plug can stop plugs fouling.
A catalog search might show you available heat range plugs for your engine.
Another option, is a set of "anti-foulers" that screw onto the ends of your plugs and remove the electrode from the cylinder and protect it. Problem is the electrode was designed to be in the plug hole for a better burn and while it would take longer to foul out a plug, your not doing your engine any favors.
Yes, I have seen engines running anti-foulers and a hotter range plug. Poor engine.
12V conversion.
Are you still running a .025" gap? If that 12V conversion was done the right way, widen the gap to .045" Lets try a hotter spark to warm things up a bit.
That might be a good starting point.
Mind you, everyone else here that has chimed in before me are more intelligent than I am, which is why you only got 2 cents worth from me.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]