Re: Transmission disassembly

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dabrowski on September 10, 2020 at 17:57:57 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Transmission disassembly posted by Barry on September 08, 2020 at 23:31:10:

Unless you have some badly worn gears, the main transmission issue will be the bearings and their preload which is adjusted by removing (or adding) shims to the rear bearing caps. removing the main and counter shafts with gears is relatively easy and assessing the condition of the bearings easily done by looking at them. Bearing preload on re assembly is checked with an inch-lb torque wrench.

There is a manual on the transmission in the manuals section of this board which you can print out as a .pdf. It shows in detail the tools and procedures, but unless the tractor has been badly mistreated there is unlikely to be broken gears or a need to actually remove gears from the shafts. On mine I just took the main and counter shafts with gears and bearings and soaked them in four gallons of Simple Green for a couple of days, washed them off and used WD40 to keep any rust away. On reassembly I had to remove a couple of shims to get the preload right.

Also pulling the pinion gear can be a job, you need to use some threaded rod and a plate across the flange face of the differential housing to draw it out, but unless some teeth are gone or a bearing is clearly bad you should not need to remove it. You will probably need to renew the left differential bearing because it has a greater load on it ( the ones I've taken apart needed that replaced). Getting the old one off is best done by cutting through it with a Dremel metal cutting grinding blade. Putting a new one one is done by heating it a bit with a propane torch. The race in the axle housing knocks out easily and putting the new one in ice for a bit makes it easy to install.

Good luck, but none is hard just have to think a bit and have patience. It is always good to sleep on it sometimes.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]