Re: SN#1 8N

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on October 08, 2020 at 07:31:00 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: SN#1 8N posted by Joel W on October 07, 2020 at 15:55:09:

Yeah, Joel, I have seen this before but have my always had serious doubts it is authentic. First of all, there are no star symbols in the serial number as Ford defined engine serial numbers back then. Also, Ford used the capital letter "I" for the numeral #1. This dates back to a 1931 Service Bulletin. The number '8' looks wrong too. The additional boss at the end of the s/n cast boss is suspect as well. I would have to see and inspect the entire tractor myself. I'd look at the engine block casting code date ID tag on the starter pocket to start with. I know Danny Norman, is a member of the F/FCA Association, and have met and spoken with him at shows a few times before. I have much respect for Danny. He is the one whoa arranged for the late, great Harold Brock to come to the Penfield , IL F/FCA show and speak to the crowd. Also, the narrator in this video says Ford didn't put lights on any tractor until the 1939 9N. That's misleading. From 1939 thru 1955 lighting kits were always dealer installed optional accessories - never assembled at the Rouge or in the case of the 8N and after, the Highland Park factory. Headlights only were standard factory equipment beginning with the 1955 800 Series. So, until I see more data, I remain Mr. Skeptical. Remember, always trust the man who wears the star ☆ ...

FORD ENGINE BLOCK SERIAL NUMBER IDENTIFICATION:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]