Re: Head bolt replacement

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on November 10, 2020 at 06:28:48 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Head bolt replacement posted by Bw on November 09, 2020 at 01:40:36:

The SEP '51 MPC has the length size wrong as pointed out. This is the one that is copied and reprinted as the '39-52 MPC. It lists the head bolt, p/n 8N-6065-A as 7/16-14 x 1-3/8" and it should be 2-3/8" long. The '49 MPC in our Manuals forum is missing page 29-A that has this info but the previous sketch of the parts exploded view has it shown, but not sizes. tat MPC shows PG 29 ending with p/n 9N-6018 and then PG 30 beginning with p/n 9N-6149. The correct hex head bolts are also shown and listed in the May, 1950 MPC, page 63, (NOT in the forum list) and they both have the correct length at 2-3/8". It stands to reason as the previously used 18-6066 studs were 2.78" long. FWIW: The head was changed in '50 too as p/n 8N-6050-A at s/n 263843. You might try calling McM-Carr and ask about shipping to Canada. I suspect it isn't their shipping end but most likely customs holding up things. I'd rather have to wait to get parts from them instead of having to buy from a local hardware store, fastenal, or worse, tsc, where they'll charge you $2-$3 per bolt! When I worked on the late Farmer Dan's 1940 9N two years ago to remove the Sherman Head he had on it, he initially had installed stainless steel hex bolts with the OEM 11/16" AF size on them. I remember that because I had to remove the throttle linkage and bracket bolted to the head too and modify a 01A-17017-B grinding clearance around the wrench head to clear the boogered up bracket. A standard 11/16" socket wouldn't clear.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]