Re: Original hitch and drawbar

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on December 08, 2020 at 07:30:42 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Original hitch and drawbar posted by Gaspump on December 07, 2020 at 17:31:15:

Gasser-
No, not exactly. No screwdriver was ever included with the parts shipping kit. Only the first year, 1939, 9N's had a complete toolkit with 7 hand tools, handcrank, grease gun, and possibly the tire inflator and jack. In April, 1940, changes were made all around to the 9N including a new spark plug/head bolt wrench, new adjustable wrench, and two new versions of the small open ends. The monkey wrench, grease gun, and inflator were now optional accessories. Also released then was the toolkit, p/n 9N-17004, consisting of: Toolbag, Screwdriver, Pliers, and two small open end wrenches. This toolkit was never factory supplied on a new tractor - offered as an accessory only. This remained in effect until the Hundred Series models. The Monkey Wrench was depleted from all vehicle toolkits in 1946 but still offered as a dealer accessory. In late 1943, when the war restrictions were rescinded and standard Ford 9N production, now called the 2N Model, was resumed, the design for a shipping parts kit was developed with the plow wrench and spark plug wrench included and it also had a grease gun, at first. By 1944 the grease gun was omitted and again just a dealer option. It isn't listed in any manual but it stands to reason when you bought a new tractor, you got two ignition keys; a booklet with pictures and data on the new 9N; an Owner/Operator's Manual, and a letter and warranty form. FORD was proud, and rightly so, to have their new 9N tractor now available to the public and sales took off. Henry, going back to first Model T and Fordson tractor, believed in giving the customer everything he needed with the new vehicle including a set of tools with which he could make his own repairs when needed. Harry also believed in this philosophy as well. FYI: I have done all my homework, researched the tools ad infintum, and own a set of original blueprints. I was the editor of NAFTCO, publisher of "Ford Tool Times" for 5 years. I am writing a new book on the Ford Tractor Tools.

FORD TRACTOR TOOLKIT, 9N-17004, OPTIONAL ACCESSORY, RELEASED APRIL, 1940:

OEM FORD 9N OWNER INSTRUCTION MANUAL & BINDER, ISSUED WITH EACH NEW 9N TRACTOR:

Tim Daley
FORD Published Historian

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]