Re: 9N New Owner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John in Mich on December 21, 2020 at 19:32:06 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: 9N New Owner posted by Dustin on December 20, 2020 at 21:37:54:

Welcome! A 1939, like Tim and Kirk said, based on the number that you listed. I have a '39 number 9N 8047. It is patiently waiting for me to work on it. So many projects.
Be patient and ask questions. Everyone here is willing to offer help.
Not knowing where you are located, it is hard to know what to tell you. Reason? If you are in a warm climate, you can do some work outside. Colder climate, not so easy.
Also, how much of a "restore" are you planning? Just getting it running to use or rebuild to original specs (as much as possible) and show it.
I would NOT try to start it yet! Scrape and brush off the grease and dirt, then hit it with a degreaser and a power washer. Make sure there are no openings that might trap water and freeze.
Drain all of the fluids: water/anti-freeze, engine oil and filter, transmission, hydraulic and differential. Put a tag on them "NO OIL" and "NO COOlANT) so that you don't forget.
Next, I would pull the spark plugs and spray something like Marvel Mystery Oil (what I use) into the spark plug holes and roll the engine over with the hand crank. Let it set for a few days and then repeat.
I would take the starter and generator off and have them rebuilt, period. This will eliminate one/two possible headaches later.
Pull the carburator and distributor. Rebuild them.
Plan to replace all of the wiring. Again, it will save you some headaches later.
Being that it has not run in so many years, I would pull the bottom pan and check all of the crankshaft bearings, one at a time. Note which way each cap is oriented. If bearings and journals look good, smear some STP on them and reinstall. Torque to specs.
I have probably forgotten something and others will chime in, believe me! LOL

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]