Re: 9N New Owner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on December 23, 2020 at 07:40:13 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: 9N New Owner posted by Dustin on December 20, 2020 at 21:37:54:

YOUR PICTURES:

Dustin-
I inherited my grandfathers’ early/1939 9N in 1997 when my uncle passed away and my Mom had to sell them farm and hold an auction. Family got first crack at anything they wanted so I took the 9N and all of the original implements that came with it. I never knew my grandpa; he died the year before I was born so a total original restoration as a tribute to him, my Mom, and my uncles is only fitting. I have all the original parts but restoration has yet to be started. A good friend and I will be tackling this project in the spring.

First thing I see is the small generator but can’t tell if it’s an A or B. If an A it will have 2-Wires, if a B it will have only 1-Wire and a 3rd Brush "HI-LO” Slider Button on the back end plate. The belt tension strap is ho-made – 9N gennys didn’t have a tensioner. If it’s a B GEN it would use the roundcan cutout. If it a the A GEN it would use the rectangular Voltage Regulator. It has the wrong pulley; it would be a tad smaller the barrel diameter. I have one if you want to contact me –email is open.
The early 1939 rear axle hubs were smooth, and by 1940 they had to change to riveted hubs – see pictures. Note they were riveted, not bolted to centers.

1939 FORD-FERGUSON 9N – SMOOTH AXLE HUB:

1940-1947 FORD-FERGUSON 9N/2N RIVETED HUB:

Your dash panel says 1939. The 4-Spoke Steering Wheel is correct but the center chrome cap was smooth and did not have the FORD script logo. The 1938/39 FORD trucks and school buses also used the 4-Spoke as well but they had a horn feature which the tractor did not. It is possible your cap is from one of those. I don’t know for sure if they had the script logo but I’m guessing they did.

You also show the OEM snap-in battery/fuel door cover. The ho-made hinge and bend can be fixed. Appears to be the OEM chromed STANT rad cap so the large non-pressurized radiator would also be correct.

Looks like you are missing most of the 3-Point Lift arms and linkages. Used parts are around. The original front rims were 3 x 19 with single rib 4 x 19 tires. New repop Firestones are available –see MILLER TIRE. Yours are altered with larger rims and truck tires. Fenders are also missing. Grille was changed and I think the doglegs too OEM were smooth.

The original Sediment Bulb Assembly was brass, also elusive to locate.

The 9N-400 non-flip 9-Hole Steel Pan Seat was original. FORD offered an optional plastic pan seat, 9N-400-B, that was made using soybean polymers. These did not last long and were discontinued by 1941. Running boards and lights were never OEM features. Headlights had the 'winged' medallions, one appears to mounted upside down and has busted off. Ford offered a lighting kit from dealers as optional accessories. The large, truck style buckets were supplied by CM HALL and the taillight was supplied by TAURUS LAMP CO.

The good news is the 4-Spoke Steering Wheel and the aluminum horizontal bar grille are reproduced nowadays and there is no shame in getting them to complete a restoration. Very few FORD TRACTOR guys would be able to tell the difference. Some parts like double ribbed fenders and 32” Hat Rims can be found here and there.

The bad news is that some of these early parts are just rare as hen’s teeth to locate. The early GENS and Voltage Regulator, 4-Spoke, and Aluminum Grille for example are the most sought after and most elusive to find.

Here’s the LINK to John Smiths’ document on Ford Tractor ID and some history.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]