Re: 9N New Owner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dabrowski on December 24, 2020 at 14:08:24 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: 9N New Owner posted by Dustin on December 23, 2020 at 21:48:27:

You can straighten the battery door and fabricating new springs is relatively easy. You can order the annealed spring steel from McMaster-Carr and drill the rivet holes and bend them into shape then take them over to any heat treating shop and they can get the spring function done at almost no cost. I made a new spring clip for my aluminum hood battery cover and it was much easier than I thought it would be. I took it over to a heat treating shop and they did it for free just because of the novelty of what I was doing. I have a reproduction battery cover on my steel hood 39 and the springs are simple compared the an old aluminum one.

Keep in mind the 39 hood and battery door is unique, none of the later models are the same. The 39 is narrower, the ridge width along the top is narrower and the hole for the battery is different so plan on saving yours. I recommend finding a junk hood (later is fine) for getting some sections to weld in where it appears to be rested through along the top of the grill, and of course you will need an aluminum grill from Dennis Carpenter or Just 8N's. That too will need some trimming at the top center as the angles are wrong against the hood front on all the reproduction grills. To make it right you will have to grind away some of the center-the repos are all with a flatter angle than Ford produced. Not difficult-I had to do mine.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]