Re: Original look

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on January 13, 2021 at 06:19:52 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Original look posted by BW on January 12, 2021 at 19:55:24:

Like I said below, think logically on how an assembly line functions. They don't build the tractor then paint the whole thing at once like a $20 Earl Schieb job. An official "originality guide" --- NO. There have been some attempts to make lists, but every one I have seen has had some errors and incorrect information in them. One popular book is the Peterson & Beemer "N-Series Originality Guide". There are a lot of nice pictures in it, most all show at least one part not correct and there is much text in it that also is incorrect. Others like the old N-Series site I showed below made attempts to list what was original, but it too had flaws, and we're not just talking about paint codes. Individual parts made at the Rouge or from an outside supplier, would be painted, mated up on the line, and fastened from a bin of nuts, bolts, washers, and pins. The best way is to find someone that has an untouched original tractor and use for one reference. I know of only 2 or 3 fellas that own all-original, untouched, 9Ns and 8Ns. There are also some very good DVDs in our SUPPORT forum which have been converted from the original 16mm films showing original tractors and such and make excellent originality guides. Finally, Dennis Carpenter reproduces many exact-as-original parts, owns a lot of the original tooling, and is licensed by Ford, unlike most other suppliers. Many just buy his stuff and offer it up but with a percentage markup. Go to the source. DC makes many of the nuts and bolts that came with the tractor. If you don't know, Ford used a lot of fine thread carriage bolts. Carriage Bolts are no longer made with fine threads in the industry. Other exact OEM hardware includes the Dome Headed Dash and Air Cleaner bolts, and rear wheel nuts and bolts. "...I will be just happy if it runs after all this!" Why wouldn't it? Paint jobs have nothing to do how the mechanics and electrical systems function. A true restoration would be a total dismantling and rebuilding, testing, and then painting before assembly. Go to the John Smith LINK and see his project tractors. Others like Steve Dabrowski and Harold Cooke have done excellent restoration jobs as well.

FORD N-TRACTOR PETERSON & BEEMER BOOK:

*NOTE: This is NOT a true originality guide. Use at your discretion.

FORD TRACTOR REPRODUCTION PARTS DENNIS CARPENTER:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]