In Reply to: Re: Installing the trumpet posted by Jeff in Northern Michigan on January 30, 2021 at 07:51:50:
No, I didn't use a sealant. I was told it was not needed. I did coat the housing surface and the trumpet surface with grease (I use to see Dad do that on these paper gaskets). If I see it leaking I will just redo the gasket and use a sealant. Now that I have done one it isn't so intimidating as long as you use a hoist of some kind to help with the handling. I used one of those platforms you see at Lowe's and Home Depot to sit it on and then I was able to scoot it out of the way.
I did follow the advice of soaking the gasket; but wet they are easy to tear; I had three of them (I got some extras from Just 8Ns) and I tore the first one I tried after soaking it. Then I let the gasket dry before installing the trumpet.