Re: How on earth does one oil the steering gear box ? 8N

[ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on June 30, 2017 at 15:53:21 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: How on earth does one oil the steering gear box ? 8N posted by Dan Chisler on June 30, 2017 at 11:02:18:

HiYa Dan-
9N/2N steering boxes are different than the 8N boxes. The 8N has an early box and a later box. The 8N Operator's Manuals all show to remove the steering wheel acorn nut and pour gear lube down the steering column shaft. If your seals and bearings are worn that'll just make a mess and you'll wake up tomorrow with oil all over the shift cover and running boards. Reference pictures below of the early box and the late box. The early box has a 1/4 NPT pipe plug on the right side to remove and fill. the later box has a7/16-14 bolt to do same. Some have modified those fill plugs by adding a ZERK fitting to the tops so lubing the steering box can now be done with a grease gun filled with either corn head grease or gear oil. You do not need to dismantle anything on an 8N -the plugs are right there as shown in my pictures. Back a few years ago I made a whole bunch of the modified NPT plugs and hex bolts and have a few lying around. If you need one, let me know which box you have and I'll send you one...my email is open for mailing/contact info.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.<1498852401">

[ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]