N Board Forum - Expanded Thread Page

Subject: Grease Guns

[Back] [Return to Top of Forum]

CHUCK4850    Posted 11-25-2021 at 09:23:17 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [Email]  
  • Grease Guns

  • Iím finally ready to install a grease gun on my 8N serial # 711. Is there any new information on which one is correct? I have the Dearborn stamped one, that I had re-plated in Cadmium, and I have the un-marked Balcamp one. I have both versions of the mounting brackets as well. If itís for sure the Balcamp one, is it supposed to be painted black? Black bracket as well? Is that decal available anywhere? It would be so much easier to use the cadmium plated one, but if itís wrong, I wonít do it.

    Happy Thanksgiving,

    Chuck Mantiglia

    Carl    Posted 11-25-2021 at 10:32:04 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [No Email]  
  • Re: Grease Guns
  • The grease gun was a dealer optional accessory on grease guns since 1941. The Ford Tractor Grease Gun, p/n 8N-17125-A was released in September, 1947, and sold only as an optional accessory as Dearborn p/n 250001 and supplied by The BALCRANK COMPANY of Cincinnati, Ohio. It carried their name on the lever/handle, and a DEARBORN EQUIPMENT decal on the barrel. The BALCRANK Model number is 162-L. It was painted semi-gloss black as per Ford tool specs. Also offered was a bracket, DEARBORN p/n 230032 that could be bolted to a fender for easy operator access. The BALCRANK grease gun was used up until it was declared obsolete in April, 1952, when the Dearborn stamped unit was released. This model was used up thru the Hundred Series Tractors. It was Cad plated. You say you have two different mounting brackets? Can you post pictures; I know of only one? The BALCRANK unit had the name stamped on the handle. If you don't have a stamp, yours might not be the correct model. They made 50 different models. Either one would be OK to use since options could be purchased at any time. The bracket can be painted Ford Medium Grey like the rest of the sheet metal. It's your tractor, paint it pink if you want. You can get decals at George Bradish Tractor Parts, Latrobe, PA -seek links. Sent you an email with the entire story.

    [Back] [Return to Top of Forum]