N Board Forum - Expanded Thread Page

Subject: Rocker Cover Vent Gasket

[Back] [Return to Top of Forum]

Terry in Mo (T-Mo)    Posted 02-05-2023 at 12:04:46 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [Email]  
  • Rocker Cover Vent Gasket
  • https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/tractors/engine/gaskets/eaf-6863-c-rocker-cover-vent-gasket

    I ordered this and I was wondering where the square hole goes, top? bottom? My 640 doesn't have that gasket.

    Tool Pro    Posted 02-07-2023 at 13:20:38 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [No Email]  
  • Re: Rocker Cover Vent Gasket
  • I misunderstood your question. The part suffix "C" designates there were two revisions prior to so the square hole may have been added later.

    The square hole engages a tang punched out of the valve cover. It serves as a drain back for oil that might get blown out the cover and into the vent. I don't have my NAA handy to check but if yours doesn't have the tang, the new gasket should still work.

    Tool Pro    Posted 02-06-2023 at 05:00:24 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [No Email]  
  • Re: Rocker Cover Vent Gasket
  • What tractor are you looking for? Note that part is used from 53 - 64 on an overhead valve engine so if you are looking for an N tractor, the part was not used.

    Ed Gooding (VA)    Posted 02-06-2023 at 05:59:36 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [Email]  
  • Re: Rocker Cover Vent Gasket
  • From his question: "My 640 doesn't have that gasket."

    Terry in Mo (T-Mo)    Posted 02-07-2023 at 04:21:31 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [No Email]  
  • Re: Rocker Cover Vent Gasket
  • Yes, it's a 640, 1957 vintage.

    Ed Gooding (VA)    Posted 02-07-2023 at 05:34:16 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [Email]  
  • From a 1959 dealer parts book
  • Terry, it looks like original ones from the factory did not have the hole in them:

    Not sure why the modern one does???

    Terry in Mo (T-Mo)    Posted 02-08-2023 at 04:25:24 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [No Email]  
  • Re: From a 1959 dealer parts book
  • Well, I dug into the tractor more yesterday and found what the hole was for. There is a square pin (or something similar to a pin) underneath the air vent hole in the valve cover. It aligns perfectly with the square hole in the gasket. So the hole goes to the bottom.

    [Back] [Return to Top of Forum]