Great information Tim

[ Manuals Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by monroe3pt on February 11, 2007 at 10:18:45 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: FERGUSON A-LO-19 & DEARBORN 22-1 CORDWOOD SAWS-SUPPLEMENT posted by Tim Daley (MI) on February 10, 2007 at 12:56:39:

Here is a photo of my restored Dellinger saw mounted to a Monroe Hitch on the back of my Dodge Power-Wagon. I found the saw in North Carolina a few years ago at a junk dealer. He had a total of 7 of these saws on his lot. I picked out this one to bring home, as it was the only one with a cast pulley. All of the rest of the saws there had rockwood pulleys in various states of decay. Also, this was the only one that had a table with a full wood backstop. The rest had backstops made up of flat steel uprights and the sheet metal belt guard like those in your manuals. Notice how this one has an angle section steel framework spanning between the lower hitch points where most are found with a round steel rod. Probably the most interesting thing about it is that it wore only a Dellinger nameplate. All of the rest of the saws on the lot had either a Ferguson or a Dearborn nameplate in addition to the Dellinger one. I had to modify one top link leg to straight instead of angled to clear the drive belt. There is no indication that my saw ever had the steel rod belt guide, or the additional small brackets to rest the saw on the lower links when in the raised position.

I have literature showing both Monroe and Newgren saws in use on the Jeep Universals and the Dodge Power-Wagons equipped with either the Newgren or Monroe Hydraulic Lift Kits (3-point hitch accessory). This literature dates from between 1946 and 1951. These pages all give a model number for the saw as either DLS (Dellinger lift saw) or DS-L (Dellinger saw – lift type). The saws are shown in the literature wearing either a Monroe or Newgren decal, or a Newgren nameplate. Details vary from almost exactly like how my saw is set up to how the saws in the Ferguson and Dearborn literature are shown.

I also ran across another Dearborn saw at an auction in Iowa last spring. Every detail looked exactly like the later Dellinger saw that was badged as the Dearborn model 22-44 with the table extension to the outside of the blade. Upon closer inspection, it had a Dearborn nameplate that credited New Holland as being the manufacturer.

My searches to find literature directly from Dellinger have, so far, ended in disappointment.

Clint

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.

[ Manuals Forum ] [ FAQ ]