HELP.....8N generator gurus?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark M on August 28, 2021 at 22:44:35 [URL] [DELETE] :

I am new to the 8N world, recently picked up a 1947 (ser# 18351) that I am using around the farm. The bearing on my generator (still 6V) went out so I replaced the bearing. While I had it apart, I realized that I'd like to drop a new/rebuilt in. The one that I have currently is a 3 wire,3-Brush, with a threaded pulley. The only one I could get locally is a rebuilt Wilson rated at 35A with a pulley that is keyed not threaded. Wilson also one that has a threaded pulley like mine but it is rated at 68A. I thought that Ford used the three wire/brush threaded pulley generator during the early production of the 8Ns in 1947, then transitioned to the keyed pulley type which generated more amperage. Seems like the Wilson generators would follow suit but the threaded one has almost twice the amperage. Can I use the keyed pulley generator with higher amperage on my tractor? If so, do I need a different voltage regulator. Both units are three wire types, physically identical, but the one has higher amperage rating. I found a 6V generator on Steiner website that is a three wire unit, but they say it is for 9N/2N 1940-1947 part #FDS298.....comes with a pulley so I think it is a threaded pulley? Gotta think that Ford used up their stockage of 9N/2N generators in the early model 8Ns?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]