Ford 8n 1952 not starting, no spark

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Redmapleleaf on September 18, 2021 at 06:02:06 [URL] [DELETE] :

I would appreciate any help that you can give me.

I bought a 1952 ford 8n for about 4 weeks now. It was running excellent for the first two weeks and then it decided to quit on me while I was riding it.

I checked for spark and it had none. Not from the spark plugs nor from the coil itself. I checked the voltage to the coil and it had a solid 12.65v. thinking that it was a coil issue i went ahead and bought the pertronix coil,flame thrower 3ohms, part 40511, and also the electronic ignition for the distributor, part 1244a, so that I don't have to do the point and condenser maintenance anymore. Anyway, after i put in the new coil and electronic ignition, the tractor still doesn't start. I still don't see any spark coming out of the coil. I am running out of ideas. I hope some one out there may be able to help me.

My ford 8n had already been converted to 12v before i bought it. It doesn't have any ballast resistor anymore after the conversion. Everything looks shining new from the battery to the coil and distributor cap, wiring and spark plugs.

I also did a scratch test of the coil negative terminal to the ground and the coil would not produce a spark when it is on the tractor but if i take the coil out and did the same test in isolation with my battery starter pack them it would produced a bright blue spark.
Thank you for all your help.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]