Re: Rims and tires

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dabrowski on November 05, 2021 at 18:27:55 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Rims and tires posted by Don on November 05, 2021 at 14:55:06:

I Live on the San Francisco peninsula and use a plating shop in Santa Clara, CA. I have done three pairs of rims, one for my 8n which are 28" hat rims, one set of 1953 Ferguson rims which are loops and one set of 1939 32" 9N loops. They have all run around $120 for zinc plating the pair at the plating shop and turned out very well. First had them all sandblasted to get rid of the rust and old paint ( the plating prep in the shop will take off most of it, but I like to get it done so I can clearly see any issues before going to the plater.

I have heard from some that they checked with shops in the Midwest and got some much higher prices. I just took my first rims over to the shop for them to look at and they gave me the price and have kept it that way. There is no way it should be cheaper out here than back where they don't have to deal with the air quality board in Santa Clara County, California!

For my 32" I use Mitas 9.5/32 tires I got from Nebraska tire. They have a good classic 45 tread pattern and really look good on my 1939 9N. They used to make a 28" reproduction tire for the 1941-47 9N/2N but these are no longer available, although someone here might have a set they would part with. I had a set but someone took off with them when I left them on my trailer outside.

Only reproduction ones now are for the 1948-50 8N with 28" rims as far as I know.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]