Re: 8N voltage regulator

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by 8N voltage regulator on November 10, 2021 at 12:50:20 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: 8N voltage regulator posted by carl on November 10, 2021 at 07:13:17:

Thank you for your replay, it took me several weeks to find out most of what you have described, great job.
I have checked continuity of all the charge system wire, confirmed the correct terminations, cleaned all the termination points with a brass wire brush, momentary jumpered Bat to Arm to polarize the system, to confirm generator out put I grounded the field terminal to the ground terminal on the generator (ammeter showed 20+ output) and checked the voltage at the armature termination on the generator (7.3 volts).
The first new VR after being installed and polarized gave no output when I started the engine. the second VR after being polarized started by giving 10 amps and when I increased the engine it would bounce between 10 to 15 amps but after 3 or 4 minutes it stopped outputting.
I took the cover off both the original and the second VR and did notice that the air gap between the cutout coil magnetic point and the arm for the contact point is at least three times wider on the second VR and the old VR that was on the tractor, not sure if that would make a difference.
The other question is most of the 8N 10505C regs for sale claim 10 to 12 amp operation but the generator has a 20 amp rating? will the 10 to 12 amp work and give me full 20 amp range?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]