Re: 39 value

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley (MI) on November 29, 2023 at 07:46:15 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: 39 value posted by Kent on November 22, 2023 at 00:37:55:

HiYa Kent-
In my opinion, if you have an early 9N with a serial number up thru five digits, say '39-'41, it is well worth pursuing a correct, complete restoration. The general hiccup with that is finding all the correct parts for the early model, especially if you currently don't have them on your tractor. Two most sought after parts are the original aluminum horizontal bar grille and the Four-Spoke Steering Wheel with chromed center, but those two items are repopped nowadays with excellent USA Quality. See Rosewood Machine for the grille, doglegs, and snap-in battery cover. Denny Carpenter has the 4-Spoker. The other early 9N Parts are: The first 800 or so units had an aluminum hood, very rare; double ribbed fenders; the small, 2-Wire/2-Brush 7 A generator with the 9N-A using a Voltage Regulator; the 9N-B using 1-Wire and 3 Brushes and the roundcan cutout; brass sediment bulb assembly; STANT Chromed Rad Cap with the non-pressurized radiator; 9 x 32 rear tires on 32" Hat Rims, but very early rims had 6-Loops; Smooth HUb rear axle hubs; smooth doglegs, aluminum on very early; Ignition ON Dash Lamp; Key Switch on RH Dash; Start Pushbutton on LH Dash; Chromed Throttle plate and Lever; HYD OIL dipstick on shifter cover; Muffler Shield; Snap-In Battery Cover; 20 AMP Gauge on first 4000 units only; 30 AMP Induction/Loop AMMMETER after; both AMMETER and OIL Gauge with chromed bezel; the 5/8" DIA screw-on ball on shifter lever top; first 4" of shifter chromed; the Cast Iron Governor with no oil lube line; the fuel tank fill port central on tank; Marvel-Schebler TSX-33 Carb; and dealer optional accessory lights - CM HALL truck-style headlights and a TAURUS Taillight to name most parts. The 9N did not use foot/running boards or a bumper/grille guard. Aftermarket rests were sold if desired and optional dealer accessories included a large single bar bumper. Most, if not all, of these parts are rare as hen's teeth to locate as most early models and parts have already been discovered but there's always the chance you might get lucky and locate diamond in the rough. The Ford/Fordson Association has a very short list of some early 9N serial numbers - see LINK. All this being said, I know of only 3 or 4 guys with true/complete early 9N's, with a few unrestored. I have seen at auctions quite a few advertised as "all original" only to find they weren't. Some had late 2N Generators, missing other critical features; and some even sported 12V conversions. I personally had searched for over ten years to locate an early small generator and voltage regulator for my early 9N that was my grandfathers'. I got lucky finding a 9N-A at my buddy's GEN/ALT shop 6 miles away in a barrel of old GENS and starters he had stocked. It was literally in the very bottom of the barrel. I soon ran into a spurt of better luck as I found two more early 9N-A's and two 9N-B units. I found an ebay seller with new, voltage regulators for the FORD 1938 DeLuxe Car he had built with correct the case but solid-state guts. Also, located a half dozen brass sediment bulbs too but I have sold all the extra parts I had so don't ask. As the old adage goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Good luck with your quest.

EARLY 9N RESTORED. NOTE 32" 6-LOOP REAR RIMS:

EARLY 1939 9N DASH w/ IGN LAMP, START BUTTON, KEY SWITCH, CHROMED THROTTLE PLATE, CHROMED TOP SHIFTER WITH SCREW-OM 5/8" BALL; CHROMED CENTER 4-SPOKE STEERING WHEEL AS SHOWN:

Tim Daley (MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]