Re: n ?

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on July 10, 2011 at 07:31:20 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: n ? posted by GEORGE HUTCHISON on June 29, 2011 at 16:53:11:

Howdy George-
As Mr. Gaspump stated, and he should know as he worked at Dearborn Motors Corporation in Birmingham, Michigan. Dearborn was the new distribution company formed by Ford Motor Company in 1947 when Henry Ford II took over business operations as the new CEO, and relieved Harry Ferguson, whom had been the partner with Henry Ford I and handled the distribution of the 9N/2N tractor and the Ferguson-Sherman implement line. Henry II looked at Ford profits off the 9N and 2N tractor and concluded that the Ford company was not making money on the deal his grandfather and Ferguson sealed with a simple handshake agreement one afternoon in a field on the Ford estate in 1938 as the 'new' Ferguson Sytem of hydraulic 3-point lift was demonstrated. Ford would build the tractors and plows, Ferguson would handle sales and distribution along with procuring other implements from outside vendors. Model designation "9" signifies the year of release, 1939, "N" signifies "TRACTOR", "2" denotes Model Year 1942 as war time allowed Ford to make changes and produce some 2Ns with magnetos and steel wheels, to conserve copper and rubber for war time vehicle production including airplanes. The 8N Model was released in July, 1947 but the "8" denoted a completely new model for year 1948 as Ferguson was now gone and Ford engineers redesigned the N Series Tractor with almost 50 new changes, a 4-speed transmission for one asd opposed to the 9N/2N 3-speed. In late 1952, Ford again introduced a new model, the NAA, designated the "JUBILEE" to honor Ford's 50 years in business. The Jubilee was only designated for Model Year 1953, however the NAA was built up through 1954 also. I hope I helped answer your question in more detail with a short summary of the Ford Tractor saga. You may already know this but others may benefit who are not aware of the history of the N-Series Tractors...

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.<1310301080">

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]