Re: Ford BNO40 Airport Tug

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Young on December 27, 2007 at 07:41:41 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Ford BNO40 Airport Tug posted by Tim Daley(MI) on December 27, 2007 at 07:37:27:

Guys, I wanna mention that the BNO serial# and the hydralic brakes are probably indicators that would support the statement of being produced for Uncle Sam. I had inquired about a paint scheme we realized on a 9n we have...seems there was a dusting of white-ish paint, over yellow, over red...over bare metal. Word I got is that FOMOCO had a municipal services division that furnished machines for Uncle Sam; at least during the 2nd world war. Seems that quite possibly, Henry's boys in Dearborn painted these tractors bound for shipyards,airports, etc. red. They must have realized that the yellow was brighter and more apparent and subsequently painted them yellow? And, an indicator I find very interesting is that the yellow and red paint exists everywhere. I mean on surfaces that were mated together at assembly.
These things could hold true, our tractor is a mid '43 9n (I beam radius rods),and I understand that it was originally owned by a small municipal airport in central Pa. Ours has no unusual sheet metal - it is original and typical of the 9/2n; and shares the(same paint scheme as the rest of the tractor). It also has Delco Moraine hydraulic brake units.Ours also is equiped with a three point and PTO.
I guess I am thinking that these machines could have been furnished, equipped especially for the tasks of the designees.
I'd be interested to know any other facts and observations out there. God Bless,Brian

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]