Re: worthington

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jon Rhee (RI) on October 27, 2009 at 11:55:08 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: worthington posted by mikeN on October 27, 2009 at 11:22:43:

Mike - Where are the pictures??? Ha ha. What you have is an early Worthington Model G-10 tractor. Im no expert but I do not believe the "G" has anything to do with the power plant. the tractor was continued to be called "G-10" long after they switched back to Ford power plants. I think it stands for "Golf" which is what the tractors were designed for mowing as well as airports. I may be wrong. They also produced an articulated fairway mower model F-10 which presumably had the same engine. I think the Continental power unit was probably used in the 50's since Worthington used N-Series power units in the late 40's and early 50's and Model A's before that for their tractors.

Worthington was bought up by Jacobsen at some point prior to 1970. When I grew up in Middletown I mowed 15 acres with a 1969 Jacobsen G-10 and a Worthington 5 gang (15' cut) mower. Jacobsen produced the G-10 into the 70's which were all powered by Ford engines. Now they are an extremly rare and sought after tractor.

The G-10 was geared low enough to pull trees out of the ground and had a fully synched 4 speed transmission, accelerator and part time governor. The tractor could go over 40mph(presumably for crossing airport runways quickly) with its 60hp Ford industrial engine.

If you look on Craigslist RI in the farm and garden section there is a 1970's Model G-10 for sale.....good price too but missing the dual rear wheel setup.

Hope this helps,
Jon

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.<1256658908">

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]