Re: The Ford-Ferguson Story -Short Version

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lonestarjeff on August 12, 2011 at 19:18:58 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: The Ford-Ferguson Story -Short Version posted by Tim Daley(MI) on August 11, 2011 at 13:33:26:

Tim:

Thank you for posting that synopsis of Harry & Henry, I thoroughly enjoy anything I can get my hands on that covers this subject.

You mentioned the system Harry brought over on the Brown tractor was not particularly good in our soils over here. Can you point me to any source material on that issue? All I have gleaned so far was the system on the Brown tractor was not very reliable. The guys in Henry's skunkworks were such incredible engineering problem solvers....they took an inspired idea that was cobbled together by Ferguson's guys & made it into a real-world reliable system.

I have an excellent book published in UK on most all of the Ferguson implements. It's fascinating to me how Harry's engineers developed so many uses for the 3-point system that Ford had no interest in(or time to develop before he became ill).

One other item that is interesting to me on this subject is regarding the 8N's(& the TE/TO's)upper link long pin. Harry must have been behind this design feature. There are at least half a dozen UK-designed implements that make use of the pin to avoid putting stress on the rocker & draft control linkage. Seems like Ford/Dearborn largely ignored the long pin altogether in their implement designs.

In fact, even much later(1960's)the Massey Ferguson 100-series still had the long pin designed into the rear diffy.

Jeff

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.<1313194738">

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]