Dewalt DCD970 Cordless Drill repair

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tools Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BlasterStumps on September 10, 2016 at 12:59:21 [URL] [DELETE] :

It's amazing what things a person gets up to when they are sick. I have a head full of ick and haven't felt worth a hoot for a couple weeks and boredom reigns. So, being as though it shouldn't take a whole lot of energy, I decided to see if I could fix my cordless drill. My cordless drill is a go-to tool for me. So having it not working was a big problem. It is a Dewalt DCD970 Type 1 18-Volt cordless, 1/2". Normally when you release the trigger the motor would stop instantly. However, recently it has kept running after releasing the trigger. Diagnosis was that the electric brake had quit working for some reason. I studied the problem for a while and determined that worn brushes could be responsible for the problem especially knowing the age of the drill and the use it has had. I ordered new brushes. I brought the drill into the house where I could take my time taking it apart and to be sure not to loose parts and pieces. It took about 30 minutes of nervous shaky hands work to take it apart, replace the brushes and re-assemble it. Finally the moment when I gave it a test run. Squeezed the trigger a couple times to give it a couple short bursts of power and then on the third or forth time, the electric braking was back. Wonderful. If any of you use a like drill you probably know not to have your face next to the drill when you operate it. Very small bits of the brushes spark off and can hit your face or worse your eye. Which was nearly the case in this instance. The spark from the brush hit my cheek just next to my right eye. Lucky there. Anyway, if your drill is like mine and your electric braking is not working, I suggest to look to replacing the brushes.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tools Forum ] [ FAQ ]