Re: Thermostat

[ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on August 20, 2020 at 06:50:58 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Thermostat posted by Robert Angney on August 19, 2020 at 16:20:16:

HiYa Robert-
Bruce(VA) is the resident guru on many Ford Tractor systems, cooling included. One article he wrote in The N-News last year -see pages/pix below, was on the cooling system. What is wrong with your current hose - dry rotted, cracked, leaking? Are you certain you have a thermostat now? As Bruce said, you could use the old Thermostat. Your tractor, you can do what you want. I'd suggest replacing with new both thermostat and hose and clamps if you need to. It goes against my usual advice to not but new parts until old is determined to be defective, but this is one of the areas that isn't a difficult job, just time consuming as other parts need to be removed first. How's your water pump? Generator? If generator fan belt tension isn't maintained, pump won't function properly as well as gen not charging. There are other things to consider is what I am saying. To continue, I'd drain some coolant out of radiator first via the petcock on the bottom of radiator. Originally FORD used a rectangular thermostat -see picture- that held a band on the outer hose to keep the unit from sliding forward towards the engine. No longer made, many of us just use another hose clamp or a simple plastic wire tie. New thermostat is inserted in upper hose with pointed end towards radiator. If water pump and/or generator (new belt?) need attention, now is the time. Be sure fan belt tension is correctly set. Coolant level correct, do not overfill, see article.

THE N-NEWS; “KEEPING IT COOL” –by BRUCE HAYNES

The “N-NEWS” is published quarterly and subscriptions can be found at www.n-news.com
or by mail at:

THE N-NEWS
9N-2N-8N-NAA NEWSLETTER
PO BOX 275
EAST CORINTH, VT 05040-0275

FORD N-SERIES TRACTOR ORIGINAL 160°F THERMSOSTAT & HOSE w/BAND:

MODERN BAND ALTERNATIVE – HOSE CLAMP OR WIRE TIE:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.<1597924258">

[ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]