Re: Ferguson / Dearborn implements

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley (MI) on February 07, 2007 at 19:53:53 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Ferguson / Dearborn implements posted by Ultradog MN on January 31, 2007 at 20:10:33:

Hey Dogman-
Nice to hear from you. Absolutely correct about the implements. When Henry II took over the business in 1945, first up was to dump Fergsuon because Ford lost money on every N tractor built up til then. Dearborn Motors was born on January 1, 1946 and they already had most suppliers of the Ferguson/Sherman implements on board to begin their tenure as Dearborn implements. Some vendors still supplied to both but there were some design changes needed with the Dearborn line since Ferguson held many patents on some implements. He was shrewd. Covered his a$$ he did. I can't blame him. Many suppliers knew the FORD name would sell so getting on board with Dearborn was not an issue. But for the collector on correctness there are the early Ferguson/Sherman implements BEFORE THE SPLIT and then in 1946 when Ferguson began building his own tractor (from 9N blueprints which he owned too)first in England as the TE20 then in Detroit as the TO20, there was the Ferguson line of implements, AFTER THE SPLIT. For all intents and purposes, any one can be used with any Ford or Ferguson tractor. We could go on for hours about this. Peterson and Beemer have a good book called FORD TRACTOR IMPLEMENTS (ISBN #0-7603-0428-9)which goes into some history and lists many of the Ferguson, Dearborn, and Ford implements.

Tim Daley(MI)
*9N653I* & *8NI55I3*

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]