Re: MS Carb Needle Wire Bale ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley (MI) on February 13, 2024 at 08:02:18 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: MS Carb Needle Wire Bale ? posted by Barry on February 12, 2024 at 09:46:39:

HiYa Barry-
The OEM Valve & Needle Seat Assembly was all brass and had a fiber gasket under the seat. Why someone decided they needed to change the needle and add a stupid extra clip is beyond me. Just an extra part that can get lost or missed when rebuilding the carb. The new style with the extra clip usually has a Viton tip. They were never steel. I've never had any issues with the OEM brass parts. I've even reused old ones with a touch up on the point in a pinch. I suppose the jury is still out on how new compares to old since no research and data has been done that I'm aware of. Many opinions abound as with other parts and systems like which spark plug is best, but there’s no data to back up these claims. There are some carb kits that have the solid brass parts, with a triangular shape needle and some have a Viton tip. I only buy the TISCO Carb Kits. I’ve tried other suppliers off ebay and had part fit and function issues. Most all M/S Parts are brass, internal, and external. Springs, the four 12-24 screws and lockwashers, drain plug, ratchet stop and thumbscrew (on TSX33), studs, nuts, lockwashers, and maybe few more are steel. Seals are felt or rubber. Choke and throttle plates and their screws and washers are brass. I’ve used some cheaper kits that had steel parts and had issues with them fitting right. Some had metric screws. Once I had a new choke shaft that wouldn’t fit thru right and the plate wouldn’t align correctly. Never again do I buy those cheap kits. Another reason why I saved all the old parts in coffee cans when I did rebuilds. You never know when you might need one. New as original solid brass Floats and Venturis are available at about $20 each but I have never bought one. I refuse to use a plastic Float or Venturi. I get the TISCO KITS, ATK6FF or C545V for the N-SERIES and there are other models for the later M/S Carbs.

TISCO CARB KIT – TYPICAL:

MY CARB TOOLS:

Tim Daley (MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]